Friday, December 19, 2008

yay I have taught my first all yin style class at lulu's!  It was such an incredible experience.  I feel like the one class was a big hurdle that I've passed over.  But I still have a couple vinyasa classes to teach next week at yoga jones monday and tuesday at 5:30 pm (hint hint).  But no worries, I've gotten over my disdain for sun salutations. I've rediscovered an appreciation for saluting the sun.  The one source of energy that all of man kind can feel or see.  The sun that shines on each individual unconditionally.  From the beginning of time until just today it has brought the morning, fresh and new, to everybody on earth.  It even brings the moonlight.  So now that the sun and i are back on good terms hehe I am so excited to conjure up a fun exciting vinyasa class for you all!  
Tonight in yin class we started in butterfly, then half frog on each side, seal, crushed branches to cat tail, then crushed branches to cat tail on the other side, sleeping swan, saddle, snail, sivasana.  (sivasana doesn't go with the other yin names... I shall think of another animal creature that splays itself out on it's back... like a starfish!!!! )  ahem....yes we ended in starfish pose.  I cautioned all the students to be careful operating heavy machinery because of their parasympathetic state of mind.  Drive slow after yin class ya'll!!  I really love teaching a yin style because a. it's doing something while you are doing nothing b. it helps me cultivate tempered decision making c. yin is not a very common practice for the modern world.  i.e. even as a teacher, sure as the 5 minute timer, I feel the need to fill a quiet space with something, like talking, explaining, justifying, laughing, whatever i may feel an impulse to DO, yin style helps me break free from compulsion to fill space with something, anything.  I say yin is my favorite style of yoga, and that is kind of BS because there is no yin only yoga.  yin and yang are hand in hand, adjectives of a complementary and balanced system. 
 Lately I have noticed that I have begun to fill my space with old habits AGAIN.  Something I worked so hard to clear out at one point is again just what I do, and I don't wanna talk about it.  The more I indulge my impulses and desires the more sluggish I feel with a short attention span to boot.  A.D.D. central.  The funny thing to me is the way i twist around past experiences or wisdom imparted to make a justification in the present.  Is life about quitting all your bad habits, or is it about opening your eyes to your tendencies and not beating yourself up. Perhaps neither of these things are the point.  WHO KNOWS?  There are times to act, and times to reflect, both are necessary.

No comments: